FLANAT RESEARCH IS PART OF THE CARINA PROJECT FUNDED BY THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION TO INTRODUCE NEW SUSTAINABLE AND DIVERSIEFIED FARMING SYSTEM
We are proud to be part of the CARINA Project, lead by ALMA MATER STUDIORUM - UNIVERSITA DI BOLOGNA, in cooperation with a highly experienced team of several partners.
The CARINA project, “to boost the sustainable diversification in EU farming systems”, will be developed thanks to the European Comission funding of 7,512,996 Euros under its Horizon Europe programme (HORIZON-CL6-2022-CIRCBIO-01- 04).
The project builds on 2 new oilseed crops, carinata and camelina. They are special thanks to their ability to provide multiple low iLUC feedstocks for the bio-based economy. Carinata and camelina are able to successfully grow almost everywhere in Europe and in northern Africa. High quality oils extracted from the plants can be transformed into innovative bio-based products (bioherbicides, bioplastics). The project team plans to valorise the co-product of their production - a protein-rich cake as animal feed. Together with a multitude of high added-value products, exploiting the mucilage and glucosinolates contained within.
CARINA aims to achieve the following specific objectives:
1. identify and promote innovative, diversified and sustainable farming systems;
2. produce innovative biochemicals (monomer and polymers) from camelina an carinata;
3. provide a set of policy recommendations to promote the deployment of sustainable agricultural systems for bioeconomy;
4. evaluate the economic profitability, environmental and social impacts associated to new cropping systems with camelina and carinata as well as their use concepts;
5. showcase the replicability potential of the CARINA systems mainly across Europe;
6. promote awareness of all the actors along the value chain, through their direct engagement in social innovation.
By October 2026, there will have been 9 lighthouses, 5 living labs, and 9 policy innovation labs established in Europe to promote, test, develop and demonstrate project activities and findings.
CARINA Kick Off Meeting held in Bologna at ALMA MATER STUDIORUM